The GoodLight Commitment to People and Planet
Like many of you, we are concerned with the well-being of our planet. That’s why, when starting GoodLight, we chose to be a part of and advocate for the then nascent sustainability movement in the palm oil industry. While there's still a long way to go, the sustainability movement is the best chance we have at effecting a shift in the industry paradigm and preserving important rainforests and their fragile ecosystems.
Since our inception in 2010, we have been members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil, an organization that helped pioneer the sustainable palm movement. Through our membership and involvement with the RSPO, we have teamed up with the not-for profit organization Wild Asia, a social enterprise working to promote sustainable palm oil production among small farmers by supporting them to meet certification requirements. Forty percent of the workd's palm oil is grown by such smallholders who depend on the crop for their livelihood. Supporting these proactives is an important step towards making sustainable palm oil the industry standard.
In addition, GoodLight is a contributing member of 1% For The Planet, donating 1% of all of our revenues to non-profits combating climate change and global warming. Our primary partner is the Orangutan Land Trust. Each year we contribute 1% of our revenues to the OLT to help finance the important work they do in protecting Southeast Asian forests and the wildlife endangered by irresponsible palm plantation expansion. These projects include, but are not limited to, the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of orangutans; confronting illegal palm oil operations; forest fire prevention; as well as local community outreach and education.
Every year we also contribute to Carbonfund.org's reforestation and avoided deforestation projects, planting trees to offset our office and travel emissions and all transportation required to deliver GoodLight from its source to our customers.
- All of our candles are made with 100% non-GMO palm wax.
- We only use cotton wicks containing no lead filaments (or any other filaments, for that matter).
- Our scented candles are scented with blends of pure essential and botanical oils, extracted from plants by cold-pressing, steam and/or vacuum distillation.
- Our retail packaging is printed on recycled & recyclable paper with veggie-based inks.
- And we promise to give you the friendliest service in the candle industry! After all, our goal is to spread good light!